The OUA’s 28 game regular season schedule has come to a close for the 2011-12 season and it’s clear how much of a relationship the OHL and OUA have. 13 of the top 20 scorers are graduates of the Ontario Hockey League, including scoring champion Keaton Turkiewicz of the University of Western Ontario Mustangs. The Mustangs lead the way with four players in the top 20. See the OHL grads from UWO in the video at the bottom of the article.
For official OUA stats – click here
Here’s a summary of the 13 players:
1. Keaton Turkiewicz of the Western Mustangs finished first with 47 points in 28 games. Turkiewicz played in the Ontario Hockey League for four seasons from 2004-05 to 2007-08 with the Sudbury Wolves, Windsor Spitfires and Belleville Bulls.
4. George Lovatsis of the Concordia Stingers finished with 40 points in 28 games. Lovatsis played three years in the OHL from 2006-07 to 2008-09 with the Barrie Colts and Kingston Frontenacs.
5. Brandon MacLean of the Carleton Ravens also had 40 points in 28 games. MacLean played four years with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds from 2004-05 to 2007-08.
7. Kevin Baker of the Western Mustangs had 37 points in 28 games. Baker played in the Ontario Hockey League for five years from 2003-04 to 2007-08. Kevin played for the Owen Sound Attack, Sudbury Wolves and Oshawa Generals during his OHL career.
9. Conor O’Donnell of the Nipissing Lakers totaled 36 points in 27 games. O’Donnell played four years in the OHL from 2006-07 to 2009-10 with the Brampton Battalion, Windsor Spitfires and Guelph Storm.
10. Byron Elliott of the University of Toronto Varsity Blues contributed 35 points in 28 games. Elliott in the Ontario Hockey League in 2006-07 and 2007-08 with the Toronto/Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors.
12. Doug Clarkson of the Nipissing Lakers finished with 34 points in 26 games. Clarkson played the 2007-08 season in the OHL, split between the Kitchener Rangers and Erie Otters. Doug is the brother of former Kitchener Ranger and current NHLer, David Clarkson.
13. Jesse Messier of the York Lions ended up with 34 points in 27 games. Messier played four years in the Ontario Hockey League from 2005-06 to 2008-09 with the Sudbury Wolves and the Toronto/Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors.
16. Matt Caria of the Lakehead Thunderwolves totaled 32 points in just 21 games. Caria played in the OHL from 2005-06 to 2008-09 with the Toronto/Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds and Plymouth Whalers.
17. Brodie Beard of the Nippissing Lakers had 32 points in 27 games. Beard played with the Ottawa 67’s for five years from 2002-03 to 2006-07.
18. Zach Harnden of the Western Mustangs contributed 31 points in 26 games. Harnden played five years in the OHL from 2005-06 to 2009-10. His first four years were spent with the Peterborough Petes, where he was team captain in 2008-09. His final year in the OHL was played with the Kingston Frontenacs.
19. Steve Reese of the Western Mustangs totaled 31 points in 28 games. Reese played in the OHL from 2006-07 to 2009-10 with the Sarnia Sting and Sudbury Wolves.
20. Thomas Stajan of the Brock Badgers also ended the season with 31 points, while playing in 27 games. Stajan, cousin of NHLer Matt Stajan, played in the Ontario Hockey League from 2006-07 to 2009-10 with the Owen Sound Attack and Brampton Battalion.