HC Oceláři Třinec is a professional hockey club in the Czech Republic with a history stretching back to the 1920s. Třinec is located on the border of Poland and has a population of around 40,000. The club plays out of the Werk Arena which has a capacity of 3700 and was built in 1967.
Former NHLer Radek Bonk is currently the most well-known player on the team but there are also 5 OHL alumni currently playing for Třinec.
- Peter Hamerlik played goal for the Kingston Frontenacs from 2000-01 to 2002-03 HC.
- Martin Lojek played for the Brampton Battalion from 2002-03 to 2004-05. Martin had a cup of coffee with the Florida Panthers before returning to the Czech Republic.
- Jan Platil was a top-notch defenseman for the Barrie Colts from 2000-01 to 2002-03. A Senators prospect, Jan returned to Czech Republic by way of the KHL in Russia.
- Petr Kanko was a fan favourite in Kitchener with the Rangers from 2001-02 to 2003-04, winning a Memorial Cup with the team in 2002-03. A Los Angeles Kings prospect, he got to play 10 games with the NHL squad before heading to Europe. Check out this feature post on Petr.
- Tomas Pospisil played for the Sarnia Sting in 2005-06 and 2006-07.
The team’s official website, which is only in Czech, can be found here.